The Berlin Senior Center
33 Colonial Drive
Berlin, CT 06037
Monday through Friday from 8:30AM to 4:00PM.
Our telephone number is (860) 828-7006.
All Berlin residents, age 60 and older, are welcome to join our center at no cost.
ASSISTANCE WITH FORMS
Senior citizens who are having a difficult time completing forms required by the State and Federal programs or insurance providers can receive help from a staff member at the Berlin Senior Center by appointment only, please no walk ins.
OPEN ENRIOLLMENT FOR MEDICARE D- OCTOBER 15TH, 2013 - DECEMBER 7TH, 2013
***Open enrollment for Medicare Part D is from October 15th through December 7th. Please contact Doug Truitt, Assistant Director of Community Services at the Town Hall to schedule an appointment. You may reach Doug at 860-828-7059. His hours at the Town Hall are Monday-Wednesday 8:30am to 4:30pm, Thursday 8:30am to 7:00pm and Friday 8:30am to 1:00pm.***
The Senior Center has an informal "coffee hour" available Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM! Enjoy a fresh cup of coffee and/or tea for only 25 cent per cup! So drop by and chat with "old friends" and make new ones! Complimentary pastry is also available! ENJOY A "FREE" CUP OF COFFEE ON FRIDAYS FROM 9:00 AM TO 11:00 AM
BERLIN SENIOR COMMUNITY CAFE-CONGREGATE MEALS
CW Resources of New Britain is the catering service for the Central Connecticut Elderly Nutrition Program and they provide congregate meals here at the senior center.
1. Lunch is served Monday through Friday at 12 Noon.
2. A donation of $2.50 is requested.
3. To order a meal, stop in and see Dorothea in the kitchen (after 10:30am) or call her at (860) 670-8546 between 10:30am-12:00pm only.
4. If no one answers, please leave a voice mail with your name and the day and date you would like lunch. If you have any difficulty when calling for a reservation please contact the senior center for help.
5. Congregate meals cannot be ordered after noon on Friday for the following Monday. The kitchen telephone is not answered after 12 noon on Friday.
6. You must order your meal at least 24 hours in advance.
7. If you cannot make lunch because of an illness or an emergency, please make sure you notify the kitchen of your lunch cancellation.
NOTE: PER STATE HEALTH REGULATIONS ABSOLUTELY NO CONGREGATE MEALS ARE ALLOWED TO BE TAKEN HOME. Meals for homebound residents of Berlin are also being provided by CW Resources. For more information about the homebound meal program or any questions or concerns about the Elderly Nutrition Program, please call Judy Nimro, Coordinator, at CW Resources in New Britain (860) 229-7770.
ENERGY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM 2013-2014
The Berlin Senior Center takes Energy Assistance applications for those seniors 60 years and older who heat with a deliverable fuel (oil, propane, or kerosene). The Center will start making appointments for applications starting on Wednesday, October 2nd. The first application date is October 29th. Appointments are necessary. Please Call the Center to make an appointment.
The following documentation is needed:
1. Copy of your latest Social Security check for 2013 or provide your latest bank statement (All Pages) showing direct deposit of your 2013 check. Must be current or not more than one month old.
2. Copy of your latest 2013 pension check or bank statement (All Pages) showing direct deposit. Must be current or not more than one month old.
3. Assets-Proof of each account. Must show current value (not interest earned) of all "liquid" accounts, such as bank books, check books, CD's, money markets, IRA's, stocks, bonds, etc. Your "liquid" assets-can not exceed $7,000 (renters) or $10,000 for (homeowners). If you are over the asset limit, the difference will be added to your income. All pages of all assets will be required.
4. Gas or Electric Bills are required for households whose primary heat is gas or electric. The name and address on the bill must match one member of the household.
5. Social Security Numbers and dates of birth for each member of the household.
6. Name, address and telephone number of landlord. A Rent receipt is only required for people whose heat is included in their rent. The annual income guideline for households whose heat is included in their rent is: Single** and Couple**. This includes renters at Sage Pond Place.
7. Name and address of your oil vendor or other vendor of deliverable fuel (coal, propane, etc). Check with vendor and to be sure that they are participating in the State of CT Energy Assistance Program for the 2013/2014 heating season.
8. Income must be shown for every member of the household. If employed-household member(s) must provide last four consecutive paystubs.
9. Annual Income guidelines (for households whose heat is not included in their rent) are as follows: One Person Household-Income cannot exceed $32,190. Two Person Household-Income cannot exceed $42,095.
Please call Jane (860) 828-7006 to schedule an appointment or for more information about the Energy Assistance Program.
Did you know that The Berlin Senior Center Has a Lending Library? We have a nice selection of large print books, bestsellers and paperbacks. We use the "honor system". You can select up to two books at a time. Keep them as long as you want-then return them back to our library. We do accept donations "gently used" hard covers and paperbacks. Donations cen be dropped off at the Senior Center.
MUNICIPAL AGENT FOR THE ELDERLY
Each Connecticut town has an officially appointed town representative called a Municipal Agent for the Elderly (MA). The MA is responsible for providing information and assistance with services and benefits for the elderly in the community. Tina Doyle is Berlin's Municipal Agent and can be reached at Berlin Senior Center, (860)828-7006.
Visitors of the Berlin Senior Center are asked to park only in the upper parking lot. Handicapped spaces are available in the lower lot for those with a proper permit. Please make sure when you are parking in a handicap space that you do not park on the diagonally lined space next to it. Those spots are there specifically for visitors in wheelchairs. Any violator who has parked in spaces reserved for Percival Heights Housing residents will be towed away at their own expense.