The Town of Berlin, Connecticut

Country Charm at the Center of Connecticut



Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-20 of 20
How do I obtain a burning permit?
An application for a burning permit may be obtained in the Public Works Department, Room 8.
Who do I contact to schedule the pick-up of large refuse items?
Large refuse items are to be scheduled with Trash Away by calling 860-225-1206.
Where can I get a recycle bin (or an additional bin)?
Please contact Trash Away at 860-225-1206 for a fully automated recycle bin (or an additional bin).
Where is the Town's Recycling Center and what are the hours of operation?
Berlin's Recycling Center is located on Town Farm Lane.
Where can I obtain household hazardous product disposal information?
Information pertaining to the disposal of hazardous household products may be found online... ...
Where/how can I dispose of unwanted electronics?
The Town's Recycling Center located on Town Farm Lane has a walk-in dumpster for residents to dispose of unwanted electronics.
Where is the Town Dump/Land Fill and what are the hours of operation?
Berlin residents may utilize the New Britain Land Fill located on Christian Lane.
As a potential resident or business owner in Berlin, how can I find out if a property has water/sewer and which water/sewer district it is in?
There are four (4) possible ways water/sewer is handled in Berlin depending on the property location:
As a new resident in town, how can I find out which water/sewer district I'm in?
There are three water districts:
Where do I go to pay my water bill and what number can I call with questions about my bill?
Properties in the Water Control Commission district are billed for water and sewer through CT Water Company. Please visit their website for information:
What is a wetland?
Wetlands are natural features in which water is close to the surface or on the surface.
Why do we need wetlands?
Wetlands serve several different and important functions.
Can I just fill in the wetlands and use the land; and, what would happen if I did?
No, indiscriminate filling is not allowed.
When do I need to get an inland wetland permit?
Whenever you propose to conduct an activity in or near a designated wetlands which has the potential to effect those functions described in question "C".
What is the process of getting a permit?
Please see Additional Details for more information.
How do I know if there are any wetlands on my land?
A general wetlands index map is available for review in Room 8 (Engineering Department), at the Town Hall.
What type of enforcement power does the Inland Wetlands Commission have?
The Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission has jurisdiction by State Statute over any and all activities that pose a threat to a wetland, watercourse or flood hazard area within the limits of the Town of Berlin.
Can a decision by the IWWC be appealed, and if so, how is that done?
Yes, in general most decisions of the Commission can be appealed through a specific time controlled process as defined in the Connecticut General State Statutes.
What will an Inland Wetlands permit allow me to do?
The permit will allow you to use the land in a specific way, depending upon the nature of the request and the particular area involved.
If a permit is granted, how long does it remain valid?
All permits must be obtained within one year of being granted.
Results 1-20 of 20